I admit, loving tofu skin is a very niche thing. But I will convert as many people as I can to this passion.
Tofu skin can be incredible. You can make hundreds of recipes with it – just look it up on the internet.
But one of my favourites is simple chips. You literally need three ingredients for it:
- Tofu skin
You can buy it in many Asian supermarkets in its dried form (it might be called bean curd) or make it yourself with soy milk.
- Vegetable oil
Take an oil that you can heat; we’re going for some deep frying here.
Go for whatever you like: salt, paprika, curry, pepper, …
Here are some easy steps to follow:
- If you use dried tofu skin, start by soaking it in some water. This will rehydrate the product and make it cookable.
- Once the skin is soft, cut it in the shape you’d like.
I usually go with little triangles.
- Put the skin on a plate and add the seasoning of your choice. Toss it with your hands.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a pan.
If you have a deep fryer, it’s even better, but I only know one person who does and it’s not even me.
- Once the oil is hot, add your skin to the pan and fry it until golden brown and crispy.
Tips: Do not overcrowd the pan! So don’t ever put on more than one layer of tofu skin.
- Once it’s crispy, remove the chips from the pan. You can let them sit on kitchen paper to remove the excess oil or directly eat them.
You can snack these chips like that or enjoy them with some guacamole, hummus or cauliflower dip. You can also simply have it as a crunchy side dish.
Find us on Instagram @basis.baismag
Images from Unsplash